Sunday, October 18, 2020

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.  Now here I am again…celebrating our youngest Kara reaching that same milestone today.  I can now officailly enter senior adult status -(actually I’ve been enjoying that for a few years now!)


I can remember the exact moment and place I found out I was going to have another baby and was immediately filled with questions and concerns.  As silly as it was I wondered if I would be able to love and care for this new baby like I did Heather.  I don’t know why I wondered that question but it was completely answered when my eyes beheld our second little daughter.  My heart suddenly and miraculously was doubled in love.  Kara came into this world wide-eyed and thrashing her arms like she was ready to go-to get in the game.  This by the way hasn’t stopped in forty years!  


Some of Kara’s early obsessions were with Mary Lou Retton - complete with the stars and stripes gymnastic outfit, from that obsession to Karate Kid and karate lessons and then on to dinosaurs, paper making and drawing to name a few fascinations. ( Yes Kara we haven’t forgotten the salesman who came unannounced to our house to view at your drawings and recognize ‘artistic talent’ because of a card you had mailed in.)  She was notorious for picking up postcards, credit card applications, and leaflets or whatever else was available for free.  She always was her own kid caring little what others thought or did.  


She loved to play competively with Bill (and still does).  They were always throwing something or making a competition of whatever they could get their hands on.  Later in elementary grades she developed a love for sports, especially basketball.  She set personal goals toward excellence and it paid off with championships and college.  


I don’t say that to brag but to be mindful of some important things about our second born.  Her perseverance has gotten her through many circumstances.  Whether the circumstances have been memorable and fun or difficult and stressful she seemed to persevere.  Kara is happy with living and doing and has always had a positive outlook toward life.  She was that way as a kid- finding joy in simple things, being grateful for small treasures and she is still that way today.  


Now two little blue eyed beautiful blonde girls call her momma. Husband Jamie is always a busy guy who is one of the hardest workers you can find.  He is a great taste tester for Kara’s creative recipes which by the way she has actually become a great cook! 


There are so many things I want Kara to know and remember today but of course it’s hard to put forty years all into a few words.  While she and Bill share a lot of personality traits, she and I share a love for words.  Many times I have been sustained and encouraged by her written wisdom.  They are my treasures, hiding and pondering them in my heart.  


So no matter what the term may be for this generaltion we can all agree it’s officially adulthood now.  What advice do I give that I haven’t given before?  The only thing I could do is solidly point back to the Word of God.  This was written by Paul but I don’t think I could give any greater testimony or birthday wish:  “Brothers and sisters I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God’s heavenly call in Christ Jesus.”  


Happy 40th—love and prayers,

MoM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...