Friday, January 26, 2018

Plague to Promise

We have probably all read through the plagues in Exodus 7-12 many times. It is a favorite Sunday School lesson with children because quite honestly, they are pretty bizarre.  

Reading through this time (and using commentaries), I discovered that each plague was God's confrontation of an Egyptian deity.  God knew He needed show the Israelites (and Egyptians) that He alone was God.  Even though the court magicians could somewhat replicate the first few plagues, "they did the same thing", they could not change the plague but only made the plague worse by creating more 'bad'.  With each plague their perceived power became weaker until they didn't stand a chance against God's power.  

So other than just reading an amazing story how can the story of the plagues apply to us?  My thought is that when God calls us out (out of a life of sin), He begins to confront the ‘gods’ in our lives.  Many Christians are confused on this point because they don’t feel like this applies to us much today.  Really few people I know have 'idols or gods' in their homes but I think this is HUGE problem today.  The gods in our lives are as much or more controlling possibly than the Egyptian gods.  The gods of my time, my money, my entertainment, my sports, my way are hindering the church's ministry today.  God is greater than each one of those and He has already proven Himself through the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus!  The last plague - the death of the firstborn- was so symbolic of Jesus.  The blood of the lamb on the doorpost, the institution of the Passover meal, even the plunder of the Egyptians were all a picture of God’s great grace.  Despite all that, the Israelites in just a short time, worshiped the golden calf.  Despite all that, many people today still won't study God's Word or spend time in worship.  


I read this quote from the She Reads Truth Bible “The words ‘Let my people go!’ not only meant freedom from slavery, but freedom from idolatry.”  The Israelites, like us as Christians today, had to know and act on the belief from Exodus 6:6 “I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from the forced labor of the Egyptians and rescue you from slavery to them.  I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and great acts of judgement.  I will take you as my people, and I will be your God.”  They had to know and move forward knowing the LORD God, He is the one and only.  May God open our eyes to the gods we serve in place of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...