Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Truly Thankful

It’s Tuesday and we are still reeling from the emotions and events from this past Sunday.  I want to be thankful and thoughtful in this post because all of it was a big deal to us.  

We have been blessed in a million ways face to face and by Facebook comments -- we love it all but now I want to share a personal comment about and to Bill first.  I wanted to say this on Sunday but it would have become blubbering babble.  
‘One of my favorite authors said “True ministry is not something we do but is the overflow of an abiding life with God.”  True ministry is getting to know the bank tellers, the postal workers, the McDonald’s employees, the pool store employees, visiting the widows, helping people in need, going to the furtherest parts of the world, and going across the alley to help and talk to a neighbor.  Those things don’t happen because it’s in your job description but an overflow of an abiding life with God.  Driving broken down buses, dealing with air conditioners that only work in winter, sleeping in cabins with noisy boys, working with budgets that always seem to fall short are not always noticeable but notable.  Going to hospitals in times of crisis, going to a home when tragedy strikes, bearing with a family in a time of unexplainable sickness is not fueled by duty but by love of Christ.  I’m so proud of you and the life of a minister that you have led behind the scenes.  You are the same ornery guy at home that you are in the office.  You tease and love, you laugh and cry, you rejoice and are heart-broken sometimes all in the same day.  You will miss being a pastor because it wasn’t a job but a calling.  While there have been mountains and valleys, you had at your heart to share the gospel by loving the least of these.  

You have always given me the freedom to serve Christ in my own abilities and callings and not do something just because I was the pastor’s wife.  You also never once in public or private told our girls they were to do something or more specifically not to do something just because they were the preacher’s kids.  

I know your ministry is not over because if it’s an overflow of your abiding life in God it can’t be.  From Fairview’s farewell of an okra pie in the face (youth ministers get to do the craziest things), to the lives we led at Ft. Worth, Drummond, Allen, Bristow, and Burkburnett we have left friends and memories trailing us all around. Just as Joshua told the Israelites ‘you have not gone this way before’ we are also in unfamiliar territory.   We will go forward with our trust in God and in Him alone to lead us.”

Now…we thank you Burkburnett FBC-Anita, Cecilia, Fran and crew-all who helped with the setup and planning of Sunday’s reception-it was beautiful, memorable and perfect; Mindy for your sweet recognition of my work in children’s ministry-I am deeply humbled; the choir’s special presentation at the service and reception was awe-inspiring -it was so wonderful we thought our hearts would burst; friends and family who traveled from all over to celebrate and to launch retirement-you surprised us and honored us.  We appreciate you and are humbled by your time to be with us.  Thank you church family and friends for the love offering.  Your sweet kind words in cards and notes are rich treasures for us.  As one said we left two footprints on her heart, please know our hearts are a busy thoroughfare of your footprints on our hearts.  

We covet your prayers as you have our promise to continue to pray for FBC Burkburnett in this time of transition.  We thank you for all you have done for us and our family.  As Bill said in his resignation you were with us through so many major life changes and circumstances and we are forever thankful of how you ministered to us.

I read this passage this morning that reminded me not only of Burkburnett FBC but everywhere we have served.  “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.  So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who give the growth.” 1 Corinthians 3:6-7

It’s all about God, it’s all for God; but only God.  


1 comment:

  1. Lana,
    Now I am crying! Happy tears for you and Bro Bill to start your retirement. I also have such a grateful heart for the times Bill came when I called about Stetson. When Mark and I were going through our divorce he counseled with us and helped during that difficult time. It also means so much to all of us that he has always stopped by the barn to visit with Mark and Stetson. Through all of this I know you were praying for us and I am so very thankful. Seeing the love of Jesus through both of you has changed my family. Mark, Stetson and I will always be forever grateful to you both. Bro Bill baptized Stetson and that moment will forever be precious to me. We love you both and will never forget your love and devotion to our church family.

    ReplyDelete

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...