Sunday, January 1, 2017

Calendar Considerations

I am always intentional about getting my new calendar each year.  I look and look for the perfect one (well at least the perfect one that is already 50% off).  This year my calendar has pictures of beautiful scenes across our country-from east coast lighthouses to the redwoods on the west!

I sat down yesterday on New Year’s Eve to begin my annual “dating of the calendar”.  The completely blank calendar began to come alive as birthdays, anniversaries, and celebrations were given their respective places.  As I filled in these future time events it became clear to me that some things had changed so dramatically since last year.

Some birthdays were on the 2017 calendar that had not been there the year before and some birthdays won’t be there that were there this last year.  We never know at the beginning of the year what events will fill in those boxes and what changes we will see. 

How appropriate it is for us to consider on this first day of the first month of a new year that “In the beginning God…”  “He is before all things and by Him all things hold together.”  It came to me this morning that time is for us--people.  God doesn’t need time.  As the Bible says “a thousand years is as a day and a day is as a thousand years” to Him.  He created the world in a timely way…for us.  Each day and night were given to His creation as a marking.  The years and the seasons are all a gift from Him.  It’s not just on January 1 that we get a new start but each day is a gift and an opportunity to be an agent of grace to His creation. 

I enjoy filling in my calendar as I look forward to a new year.  It helps me focus and stay at least a little organized.  Even then, there will be "scratch out’s" as appointments change or unexpected events occur.  Post-It notes will be placed on pages as even more colorful reminders to keep me on task.  The following scripture is a good word for me, for all of us, as we begin a new year.  How humbling to know He made it for us BUT it’s not about us.

“Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.”  Proverbs 19:21

Happy 2017! 


3 comments:

  1. Lan - I enjoyed this! How funny that it popped up just as I was filling out my own calendar! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As part of our Christmas gifts to our kids, Larry's parents and my mom, I design a calendar every year with family birthdays & anniversaries along with pictures from the previous year. Then, I also complete my schedule. The scripture you quote became especially meaningful to me two years ago today. I am so blessed with the knowledge that His plans are meaningful...full of grace, mercy, wisdom and direction. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post. Very emotional thinking about how the year will be different in 2017. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...