Saturday, April 15, 2017

Celebration Day by Bill Liggett

Passage:  “There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people by which we must be saved.”  Acts 4:12

I have fond memories of Easter from my childhood.  It was a time to be with family that I usually did not see at other holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving.  Lunch on that Sunday was usually at my Aunt Fanny’s house near Red Store west of Waurika.  Her yard would be covered in flowers and the house would smell of the finest of foods.  My aunt cooked for farm hands and harvest crews her entire life and was famous for her desserts.  

For some reason, Easter egg hunts were always held at Grandmother Bodenhamer’s house where my cousins, Mark and Jenny would hunt eggs and then hide them from our parents.  Every time we hid them there were fewer and fewer eggs.  I would always imagine what my grandfather would say when he mowed the yard later and would hit those rotten forgotten Easter eggs.

My birthday always falls somewhere around Easter, and sometimes even on Easter Sunday - I guess that is why this is my favorite time of year.  The weather can be exciting, nature is waking up from winter’s sleep, outdoor activities become more frequent and life seems renewed. 

Easter is the greatest celebration of the Christian year.  Christmas is the most anticipated but the most maligned.  Easter is a complete rebirth, in that we move from the darkest moment in history of man to the greatest moment in the Kingdom of God.  Death becomes life, despair gives way to celebration, hopelessness finds its way to possibility, fear folds into faith.  

Easter is more than a chance for absentees to make their yearly appearance and more than a time to feel good about Spring.  Easter is the quintessential manifestation of God’s long-term plan of salvation for mankind.  Jesus’ crucifixion paid our price, but his resurrection sealed the fate of Satan, death and sin. 

JESUS WON and Easter Sunday is our annual victory celebration. 


HE IS ALIVE, HE IS ALIVE, PRAISE GOD HE IS ALIVE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...