Thursday, April 13, 2017

Wonderful Waste

Passage: “When the disciples saw it they were indignant.  ’Why this waste?’ they asked.  Matthew 26:8

There is a lot of evidence supporting the fact we are a wasteful society.  Even in our current household of two people our trash receptacle is full every week (sometimes we even have to borrow our neighbors’ trash space – Thanks Steigerwalds!).  I have to confess we could be better ‘stewards of our garbage’ and do a better job of recycling our waste.

In the complete story of the above scripture, Jesus was having dinner at Simon’s house.  Simon had just been healed from a serious skin disease that we suppose was leprosy.  Leprosy would have been a “living” death sentence for him.  He would have been an outcast, ‘a waste of space’ some may have thought.  Whatever it was, he had been healed and I am guessing he was having a welcome home party.  His house now was filled with laughter, joy and hope.    

During the evening, a woman came to Jesus and after breaking an alabaster jar used its contents of expensive oil to anoint His head.  This act demonstrated humble worship and great regard for who she believed Jesus to be. Her interruption proved to be too much for the disciples.  Suddenly the joy of the evening was halted.  They could not see past the offensive use of the valuable oil.  “Why this waste?” was their reply to the act of worship.

I was so struck by their question…what would have been my reaction if I had been there?  Would I have focused more on the oil than the Anointed?  Would I have also thought it could have been used in a more profitable manner? The thought came to me, maybe it’s not original but it was new to me at that moment- Nothing poured out on Jesus is wasted.  He can take our alabaster jars filled with our bad attitudes, our selfishness, our brokenness, our pride and even our self-righteousness and He will use them for His glory and our good. 

Jesus’ response to the disciples indignation?--‘Leave her alone’, He said.  ‘She has prepared me for my burial. Whenever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told in memory of her.’  (Matthew 26:6-16; Mark 14:3-11)

Sadly Judas was so bothered by the wasted oil that he left the dinner and went straight to the chief priests to hand Jesus over to them.  He was promised money for his act of treason and what he did is also told in memory of him.


LORD, I am reminded that nothing poured out on You is wasted.  You make beauty from ashes, turn mourning to joy, hope from hopelessness.  Thank You for this reminder as we humbly enter this Easter season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...