Monday, April 10, 2017

Mother Hen

Passage: “Jerusalem, Jerusalem!  How often I wanted to gather you children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, yet you were not willing!”  Matthew 23:37

I had the most interesting thought this morning about chickens.  Now if you know me you will think that’s weird because you know I do not like chickens and in fact have a huge fear of those scary beasts.  Yet a memory from my childhood came to me this morning as I was praying for my family.

My sisters and I were raised on a small farm we lovingly called the Circle R.  We had chickens and for most of my memory, the chickens were “free range”.  After dad would open the chicken house in the mornings, the chickens would eat the corn that had been thrown out for them then proceed to scatter looking for more food.  Every so often we would have a hen that dad would let “sit” on her eggs and before we knew it she would have a brood of cute (the only time a chicken can be cute) fuzzy chicks following her around the barnyard.  At the slightest sign or hint of danger those chicks would scurry to their mother and she would cover them with her fluffed out feathers.  The chicks were hardly noticeable underneath the mother hen.  No matter where they were the chicks would answer to the mother’s “cluck warning” and head for cover. 

Jesus felt the compassion (i.e. of a mother hen) times a million when just before the cross He looked over the city of Jerusalem and said “Jerusalem, Jerusalem!  How often I wanted to gather you children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, yet you were not willing!”  (Matthew 23:37)  He wanted so desperately to protect them but they weren’t willing.  This lament is an emotion so vivid our English language can’t completely convey.  He had offered them protection but they said no and He was heartbroken for them.

I thought many times I have acted like a mother hen.  Like so many other mothers and grandmothers, I wanted to hide my kids and grandkids whenever danger or trouble came around.  I wanted to fluff out my feathers and cover them.  The problem and truth is I can’t ever completely protect them.  I’m vulnerable also.  I can do the best I can to protect my family from the enemy but the truth is they are going to grow bigger and pretty soon I physically can’t get them under my feathers.  They will have to be on their own and I’ll need to entrust them to Jesus’ care. 

Jesus lamented over Jerusalem and knew the people would go through suffering, persecution, and desperation.  In all that, even when He knows our families will go through difficulties, He is still ready to gather us together. 


Please Lord, keep us willing to be gathered to Your safe and loving arms!  We know there is no God like You who keeps His promise of faithful love to a thousand generations of those who love You and keep Your commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...