Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Eternal Peace

Passage:  “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you.” John 14:27

World peace.  It seems impossible and (not to be irreverent) but even laughable to consider such a thing as world peace. There are complete history books and high school and college courses on the conflicts, wars, and military actions of just the last one hundred years alone.  We have become even slightly unaffected to news of world destruction through war and terrorism unless it affects our particular way of life.  I’m not trying to be political by any means but I want to rouse and stimulate a discussion of peace and what Jesus might have meant in these words in the book of John.

This promise of peace is a portion of a longer discourse Jesus has with his apostles before He is crucified.  Chapters 14-17 in the gospel of John give us some of the final teachings of Jesus.  Just as we try to impart important words to our kids as they leave to go to college or work or even just head out the door for any adventure, these chapters contain Jesus’ final challenge to his closest followers. (In fact if you have a red-letter edition of the Bible except for a couple of verses in Chapter 14, these four chapters are all words of Jesus.  The only interruptions of His teaching are a few comments or questions from the apostles – I’m sure I would have also been one asking questions – no comments Bill!)

In verses 27-31 of Chapter 14, Jesus tells his apostles “Peace I leave with you.  My peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.”  So our thought for this day is this:  How is the peace of Jesus different from the world’s peace?  Please know I am not a Bible theologian or scholar but I LOVE to study the Bible so I am sharing with you what I gleaned from contemplating this passage. 

World peace is unstable as we see in bombings, shootings, etc.  World peace is temporary and is usually conditional.  It is usually outwardly visible.  Contrast that type of peace to the peace Jesus gives and we see His peace is eternal and inward.  His peace brings contentment, joyfulness despite outward circumstances.  He knows we would look around us and see horrific, evil things and be afraid so He reminds us our hearts must not be troubled or fearful.  He tells the apostles “I have told you now before it happens so that when it does happen you may believe.” (V 29) 

The next verse should make us want to sing and shout.   “The ruler of this world is coming.  He has no power over Me!”  The ruler of his world imparts his nasty old worldly peace, which is really no peace at all.  BUT…guess what? He has no authority, no power over Jesus.  When Jesus returns, it is game over.  That’s why He tells us He gives peace not as the world gives and that we should not fear. 


LORD, one day soon You will wipe away every tear.  Death will no longer exist, grief, crying, and pain will exist no longer.  You will make everything new!  Your words are faithful and true.  Lord Jesus, You are the Prince of Peace!  All authority has been given to You!  Praise Your Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...