Saturday, December 19, 2015

"And We Know"

Passage: Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord, for those who are called according to His purpose.”

The above verse is probably one of the best-known scriptures outside of John 3:16.  I know many people have their own 8:28 story.

The first time I can remember this scripture being significant to me was in 1970 after I had been in a car accident.  I was spending that summer working with a local missionary doing Bible schools in rural areas around my home-town.  We were on our way to a school when a car turned into our car and I was hit by the impact.  I had cuts on my face and knee and I could not move my right leg.  Since this was before cell phones, I am not sure how the ambulance was called but before I knew it I was being transported to the local hospital.  My dad showed up not long after I arrived.  I had been pretty brave for a sixteen year old but after seeing dad walk into my ER room I felt it would be all right. 

Without going into all of the details of that summer experience, I remember a hospital visit from the couple I was helping that summer.  They brought me a Bible and shared the verse from Romans 8:28.  The truth of that verse helped me get through surgeries and recovery from the accident but not only that, the truth of Romans 8:28 has carried me over many other experiences of my life. 

While this verse does not say there will be all good things for those who love the Lord many times we think that it does.  When we find ourselves in difficulties we begin to think we don’t deserve this.  We may think that we don’t deserve troubles but the Bible never promises we won’t have difficulty.  The promise is that all things work together for good.  Eventually.  It may be a day or it may be a year or it may be years but God will work it for good.  You can take Him at His Word.

Just as I knew I would be OK after my dad walked into the ER, I know “things” in my life will be OK because of the 8:28 promise. 


Lord, we just don’t know the ways and wonders of Your ways but we believe You can take all of our troubles and somehow in a miraculous way work them all for good.  Thank You for Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...