Tuesday, December 15, 2015

“Making a Mess ”

Passage: Luke 15:10  I tell you, in the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels over one sinner who repents.”

As a counselor I always had to start work a few weeks before most of the staff.  I would usually be asked then how ‘school’ was going.  I usually replied “it’s wonderful-the students haven’t started back yet!”  Even though I thought my answer was amusing I had to admit there was a lot of truth in it.  My classroom was so neat and clean.  My files were correct and systematic.  My desk was tidy and orderly.  The tables and chairs were all carefully placed just so and the pencils in my desk all facing the same direction. I am a fervent perfectionist and happy when all is in its place. 

The problem is that a school is not really a school without children and teachers.  They are most essential to the very nature of a school.  And when they are there in their places, things get messed up.  Pencils get lost, chairs get moved around, and things get dirty. 

The analogy goes well with the church.  A church is not a church without people.  The building and the comforts of the building are nice but the very essence of a church is people.  It is not a church without the people!

Sometimes we get a little frustrated because when people come to church, things can get messed up.  Someone may sit where we like to sit.  Someone may have wiggly children (sorry about my grandkids).  Someone may want to talk when we want to run out the door. 

The problem for perfectionists (and others) is that life is about messes.  We can’t keep up the pace of continually straightening pictures and chairs.

I have to remind myself to be around people, messes are inevitable.  The people most changed by Jesus were those who were a mess.  They didn’t have it all together.  Jesus was constantly looking for messes and messy people and since we are his followers, we need to do the same! 


Father, help us at this time of year when in all of the beauty there are also so many messes.  Help us to model your example of unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...