Saturday, December 5, 2015

“Tuna Casserole Anyone”

Passage:  1 Corinthians 2:9What no eye has seen and no ear has heard, and what has never come into a man’s heart, is what God has prepared for those who love Him.”

The first thing my sisters and I learned to cook was tuna casserole.  It was a very basic, simple dish and one that mom trusted us to make.  We would open a can of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup and mix those ingredients with a package of cooked egg noodles.  Top all of it with crumbled potato chips and put in the oven until crisp and bubbly.

I’m sure there are thousands of better tuna casseroles on Pintrest but mom’s recipe was our go-to meal.  Once when my mom was ill, my younger sister Mona was in charge of the kitchen.  One day after arriving home from work and finding he was going to have tuna casserole for the third day in a row, my dad immediately said “let’s go out to eat” (and that wasn’t something we did often at all!)

I was recently reading through my journal of my summer mission experience while serving in a suburb outside of Washington DC in 1975.  I read that I had fixed dinner for the couple with whom I stayed that summer and guess what – I fixed tuna casserole for them!

My sisters and I were always sure that we could make a meal with a can of tuna.  It didn’t take a lot of thought or creativity.   Quite honestly I completely burned out on tuna casserole years ago and haven’t fixed or craved one in decades.

How many times do we treat our relationship with God like tuna casserole?  It doesn’t take a lot of thought – we worship in neutral.  Bible reading and prayer have lost all creativity -we are bored to dullness.  No wonder we get burned out!  It’s the same thing over and over. 

The God of the universe, Almighty Maker of heaven and earth is so much, much more!  He created tuna fish. He created potatoes for potato chips.  Pintrest can’t compare to the creativity and ideas He has in mind for us; yet, we keep bringing Him tuna casserole. 


Christmas is a wonderful time to be creative!  Worship the Lord with a new song and ask Him for a new revelation of Himself.  You might be surprised when He just says “let’s go out to eat!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...