Sunday, December 13, 2015

"No App for Rest"

Passage: Isaiah 30:15  For the LORD God, the Holy One of Israel, has said:  You will be delivered by returning and resting, your strength will lie in quiet confidence.”

If you have a smart phone and use any programs or “apps”, even though you quit using them they continue to “run” in the background of your phone.  This of course will eventually decrease your battery life and thus cause for a more frequent charge of your phone.  I try to remember this very often during the day and close out the programs that are continuing to run.  This is especially important when the grandkids have had my phone since ponies, fire trucks and diggers are still working behind the scenes.

The process of stopping these programs made me think of how my mind was so much like my phone.  Even after a situation or experience has passed, my mind continues to work on the problem or possibly checks to see if there could be a problem from the situation.  Sometimes at the end of the day, I have so many “programs” still running that I am worn out. 

Guys I know your minds don’t work this way but girls you get it.  We are constantly processing and working out grocery lists, gift lists, activity schedules, family concerns and household chores.  If we work outside the home, we can add all of the problems and possibilities of work to the mind mix.  It is boggling!

I wish it were as easy to swipe the programs out of minds as it is our phones but unfortunately it is not that simple.  We have to consciously decide to quiet our minds and choose stillness for at least a time.  Depending on our season of life, this time may vary in length and possibly breadth but nonetheless is important.  We have to have a point to recharge!

I can always tell when I have not had or taken time to recharge.  My temper and patience is short and my outlook on life in general is dreary and dismal.  It shows on my face even when I am not aware. This is usually when someone says “you don’t look like you feel good” which can make me even drearier.

While finding down time is hard, it is imperative. Luke 5:16 says “He often withdrew to deserted places and prayed.”  If Jesus needed to get away and rest, how much more we will need the renewal. 

Recharge, renew, and then you will be revived and ready!  All systems clear and ready!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...