Wednesday, December 16, 2015

"Measuring Myself"

Passage: Galatians 2:16  Yet we know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ.”

There are mostly two types of standardized tests - norm referenced and criterion referenced.  Norm referenced tests (without being too technical) relate to how students measure against others and criterion tests are more likely to compare students to a criterion or standard.  Now before you snore, snore let me share what came to me this morning.

I was a “perfect” (for illustration’s sake) student.  Not that I didn’t make mistakes or perfect scores but I was always after the “A” and even more the “A+”.  I worked hard to measure up to what my teachers wanted or more likely what I thought they wanted.  Even though there was no criterion posted, in my mind I had to achieve the highest mark.

It came to me that most people (maybe everyone) is either comparing themselves to a criterion set in their own mind of what they must achieve (or be) or they compare themselves to others and how they measure up to that perceived standard.

How misaligned are both types of thoughts!  We will never achieve elusive perfection of ourselves in this world nor will we receive satisfaction comparing ourselves to others mainly because we lose ourselves in the comparison!  It struck me God’s Word can be our only criterion.  The Bible tells us the truth about who we are and who we are not. 

As believers, we are spotless, righteous, forgiven, free, chosen, and beloved (to name a few)– not based on our standard but by faith in Jesus.  We are no long condemned, lacking or alone.  I think even though we know those truths, we just struggle with living like it. Yes we are not enough but Jesus is. 

Even though I always wanted to get a good “report card” and to get the right check marks (works well with others, doesn’t run with scissors, etc.), God is teaching me my righteous acts, yes my BEST stuff, can’t achieve what I want it to.  That’s why I need Jesus – that’s why we all need Jesus.  He is the One who is, who was and is to come – the perfect Lamb!


Father, help us to see where we are struggling and striving to please others and ourselves over and above pleasing You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...