Thursday, December 10, 2015

“Finding Home ”

Passage: 1 Timothy 3:16  All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training, in righteousness so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

My car came equipped with more things than I imagine.  I can get the weather, sports scores, play music from a variety of sources, and even have a “voice” whose wish is my every command (as long as it is in the car’s menu.)  Another important feature is the navigation system.  It is absolutely amazing that wherever I am my “car” can find me. 

We recently were driving at night and found ourselves in the middle of construction.  The construction made for small, narrow, quick exits.  Without the light of day it was difficult to know which direction we were going.  Bill pulled the car to the side and began to go through several steps of instructions on the navigation panel.  When I asked what he was doing he said “I’m programming it so that no matter where you are, this will get you back home.” This is a very simple illustration but also a very profound one.  

How many times have you found yourself in unfamiliar territory?  Maybe it’s just me but I find myself wondering how I did get in this mess.  Sometimes it’s nothing you have done.  Sometimes there is just “construction” along the way. The exits are not clearly marked or even visible.  Wouldn’t it be nice if you just had an internal navigation that always led home and got you out of trouble?

We do, you know.  The Bible is exactly the navigation system we can rely on to get us back where we need to be.   Simple, yet sometimes it’s difficult to obey.  When I am in a challenging situation and nothing makes sense, I haven’t always looked for the answers in God’s Word.  I have asked others, I have read good books, and I have pondered my feelings and actions but only when I took God at His Word did I find where I needed to be.

It’s amazing what our vehicles can do today – they can get us home, tell us the weather, and the nearby movie listing but nothing can ever give us the clarity and peace like the Bible.  It’s the ultimate navigation.

Do you have a daily Bible reading plan?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...