Thursday, December 17, 2015

“Small But Significant ”

Passage: Zechariah 4:10  For who scorns the day of small things?”

I came across this verse few months ago and it has become a favorite of mine.  It seems that most of the time we are looking for the next big thing.  I know I have been guilty of doing that and in so doing I can miss the little things that are huge. 

There have been more opportunities for me this past fall to participate in others’ lives than I have had in the past since I am no longer working outside the home.  While in this stage of transition of life I have been tempted to think I am missing out yet God has given me so many little blessings along the way.   No rush mornings, chaperoning a field trip for Hadley, enjoying a midday walk, having a leisure lunch with Bill and visiting with Kara in the middle of the week are just a few small things.

The birth of the Savior seemed like a very small thing.  Babies were born every day and I’m sure considering the number of people traveling to Bethlehem there could have been other babies born that same night.  So what makes this “small thing” seem so significant? 

Because more than 300 prophecies were fulfilled by this birth. It was prophesied where He would be born, the humble state into which He would be born and that He would be from the line of David.  There was no other birth that the angels heralded and to make sure the shepherds would find Him, they were given instructions He would be found lying in a manger.  These small things would ultimately culminate in the cross and resurrection which brings salvation to all men! 

I’m not a theologian but know that God speaks to me all the time and usually, nearly always it is in a small still voice.  While His voice has never been audible, He speaks loudly through so many things - sunrises, sunsets, the colorful leaves, the icy branches, the smell of sweaty little boys, and a breakfast prepared by a loving granddaughter are evidences of His love. 


Lord, help us to be on the lookout for the small wonders you put in our lives every day.  Help us not to overlook a gift You have given because we want something bigger and better.  Help us to develop a heart of thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...