Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Waiting Game


This is the first story in the Christmas devotional book I did for our family and church:

Passage:  Psalm 130:5  I wait for the LORD; I wait, and put my hope in His word.”

“There are ten in your party.  Are you OK with an hour wait?”   Of course we weren’t OK - waiting an hour on anything with four kids is not OK but we did it anyway.  We whipped out every cell phone and device we could find to pass out and just hope that everyone had a battery charge long enough to make it through dinner.

It’s not just kids who have trouble waiting.  If there is one thing many of us have in common, it’s a hatred to wait for someone or something.  Kids hate waiting for dinner but also their birthdays to come or to open Christmas presents.  Parents can’t wait for Christmas vacation to be over.  The people in the congregation can’t wait for the preacher to stop talking.  Of course we all hate waiting in the checkout line.  We are always on the lookout for the shortest line or the fastest checker – or maybe that’s just me.

Many years ago God’s people were waiting.  In fact as we celebrate Christmas it is important to realize God had pretty much been silent for 400 years.  Since I can hardly wait fifteen minutes without pulling out my cellphone and having something to do while I wait I can’t imagine waiting 400 years to hear something from God.  The Messiah had been foretold - a Child would be born who would be Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, and Prince of Peace. (Is. 9:6)  Where was He?

Aren’t we the same way?  We pray and wait. Of course we expect answers pretty quick or again maybe that’s just me.  A little wait might be doable but to wait weeks, months, years and still no answer is hard.  It’s more than hard: it’s a faith exercise and I haven’t found any exercise that’s not hard or fun. I have agonized over prayers waiting for an answer.  (By the way, being a pastor’s wife doesn’t get your prayers answered any faster.)  I have learned to wait upon the LORD or better said learning to wait on the LORD.  I want to be like the psalmist in the above passage stating affirmatively “I will wait for the LORD”.  Just as His timing was perfect for Jesus to be born, His timing for my life and your life is perfect as well.  I remind myself often that God is not a genie in a bottle who is to grant my every wish and command.

While we are not OK with waiting, we are encouraged by His Word to wait. (Ps, 27:14)   It’s easy for us to see on this side of the Christmas story how the wait was worth it. 

God may ask you to do something while you wait to exercise your faith muscles or He may be teaching you to be still.  Either way, it’s hard – just remember to keep your batteries charged!

What are you waiting on this Christmas?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...