Monday, December 14, 2015

"Shine On"

Passage: Luke 15:10  I tell you, in the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels over one sinner who repents.”

This was the kind of news story that brings a smile. The report was about a surprise rescuer but a more surprised “rescuee”.

Because of flooding this past summer in Oklahoma a man found himself in a desperate situation.  He found himself at an impasse and wasn’t sure how to get himself to safety when along came a man in a large truck ready and willing to help.  When the man being rescued realized his helper was a very well known country singer, he completely forgot about his desperation and was overcome at his good fortune.  He called his wife and said “you better get your shine on because you won’t believe who is bringing me home.”  I’m sure his wife would have never believed Blake Shelton would be their dinner guest!

I don’t think I have ever heard that phrase (even being from Oklahoma) but it was noteworthy.  I thought about it several times throughout the day…”getting my shine on.”

This event makes me think there are things or times that make me want to sit up a little straighter, listen a little better, make sure makeup and hair are just right.  Some things require a little more “shine”.  But I have to wonder..why?  Why is it that some things or people take up a huge amount of my attention and other times I am satisfied with (to stay in context) being dull.

Psalm 90:12 says “Teach us to number our days carefully so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts.”  The commentary I read along with this verse says “how would we live if we knew we only had a few days or few months left on this earth?  Would our concerns and priorities be different?”  Most of the time we are content to be dull and only less intentional about our “shine.”

Christmas is all about shine – the more lights, candles, and glitter the better.  This is a perfect time for us to understand the meaning of being lights in the darkness of the world.  There is no better time for us to get our shine on!

“Children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.”  Philippians 2:14b

Father, help us to shine with the true hope that Christmas brings to all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty —Part Deux!

A few years ago I dedicated an entry to Heather celebrating her fortieth birthday.  It was a milestone for her but also for me.   Now here I...